WIRED Young Carers
Who we are and what we do
A Young Carer is a young person 18 years or under who helps to look after someone who has a disability, mental health condition, illness, or addiction.
WIRED Young Carers is a service jointly commissioned by Warrington Council and Warrington Clinical Commissioning Group to ensure that Young Carers and young adult carers up to the age of 25 are identified and receive appropriate support to help then in their caring role. Helping may be a normal part of growing up, however, a Young Carer may regularly carries out significant caring tasks and assume a level of responsibility which would normally be associated with an adult. Many Young Carers enjoy their responsibilities and are proud of being a Young Carer, however, there is also evidence that it can have negative impact on their health and wellbeing. The WIRED Young Carers team provide a ranges of services to support Young Carers and to give them a break from their caring role.
WIRED Young Carers work within a whole family approach to provide support for the Young Carer. Support available includes:
- Providing Young Carers with one to one emotional support - This can take place at home, school or somewhere else
- Young Carers Advocacy - Ensuring that Young Carers voices are heard and that their views, wishes and feelings are taken into consideration in matters or decisions that affect their lives
- Support in meetings - g. Family, School, Team around family (TAF), Child in Need, Child Protection Conferences, and Strategy meetings
- Liaising with School so that teachers can better support their students - We currently hold a drop in service once a month in every high school in Warrington
- Consultation with Young Carers – shaping local services through our Young Carers Champions
- Alleviate and reduce inappropriate caring responsibilities - Assisting the Young Carer and their family to access additional support
- Weekly drop ins and activities - Providing respite from their caring role along with an opportunity to meet other Young Carers, access peer support, make friends, try a new activity and have fun!
How to access our services
Young Carers can contact us directly from the age of 14 but still need parental consent to use our services until they reach the age of 19. Young Carers can also be referred to the service by other professionals, e.g. Teacher, Social Worker, GP etc. Referrals from professionals need to include parental consent from the Young Carers parent/guardian.
How to contact us